General Eligibility Requirements

Students seeking financial assistance must meet a number of general eligibility requirements, including:
  • Meet Selective Service registration requirements (males only).
  • Not be in default on any federal or state student loan. (Defaulted loans must be paid in full, or otherwise completely resolved prior to term in which aid is sought, to meet eligibility requirements for state aid.)
  • Not owe money back on a federal or state student grant. (Refunds must be paid in full prior to term in which aid is sought to meet eligibility requirements for federal or state aid.)
  • Meet admissions requirements and be accepted into a program of study.
  • Must be accepted into, enrolled in, and following the prescribed curriculum for a program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or technical certificate of credit. (Students receiving financial aid must not register for courses outside their chosen program of study.)
  • Meet eligibility requirements. Eligibility is determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additional documentation may be required. All documentation required to determine eligibility must be received prior to any aid being disbursed. 
  • The FAFSA must be renewed each academic year (beginning fall term). The FAFSA can be completed as early as October 1st each year. High school students may apply for financial aid by completing the GSFAPPS (Georgia Student Financial Aid Application System) at
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Definition of eligible non-citizen: (1) a U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551); (2) a conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or (3) the holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parolee" (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."  The following statuses do not meet the definition of eligible non-citizen and, therefore, are not eligible for financial aid: (1) F1 or F2 student visa; (2) J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa; or (3) a G series visa (pertaining to international organizations).
  • Adhere to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.